Join our Information Technology team as a Software Engineer!
The Software Engineer develops information systems by designing, programming, and installing software solutions in support of the business. This position is responsible for full life cycle of software development process: including designing, coding, testing, deploying, documenting and maintaining application software in web-based and non-web-based environments.
This role is for a Software Engineer with System Administration responsibilities. Focus will be on a new Project Management Information System (PMIS) and integrations. There will be responsibilities and opportunities to cross-train and back-up additional systems. This includes a heavy focus on Site Reliability as well as DevOps and Enterprise Architecture practices.
This is a Limited-Term position with an end date of June 30, 2025.
Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
Serve as a good steward of TriMet by regularly utilizing our transit system to maintain a strong and current understanding of customers’ experiences and of TriMet’s product and service offerings.
1. Responsible for all aspects of application development in a web environment using web technology. Participate in the entire project lifecycle, including gathering requirements; project scoping, identifying development needs; choosing appropriate programming language and identifying development frameworks that could expedite the process; determining cross-platform integration capability; coding the software system. Ensure proper source code stewardship by enforcing proper source control discipline ensuring the appropriate repositories are up to date with the latest version of source code.
2. Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and proposed solutions .Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
3. Conduct automated unit, functional, user acceptance, and integration testing to ensure product fulfills requirements of the end user and integrates correctly with other systems.
4. Document and demonstrate solution by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
5. Improve operations by conducting systems analysis and recommend changes in policies and procedures.
6. License software by obtaining required information from vendors, recommend purchases, test and approve products.
7. Apply sound project management guidelines to ensure the accurate and timely completion of assigned tasks and projects. Prepare and communicate project plans and project status.
8. Responsible for one or more major business applications systems including ongoing customer and technical support. Gather and analyze information for correcting or improving systems. Make appropriate changes to ensure the ongoing operational integrity of the system.
9. Coordinate with Customer and Information Technology management to establish resource levels and priorities to ensure appropriate levels of product and customer support are in place.
10. Contribute to the development of technology standards and best practices. Research and evaluate emerging technologies for inclusion within Agency's development environment.
A Bachelor's Degree is required.
A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, GIS, Physics, Engineering or a related technical field is preferred.
A minimum of two (2) years total credited experience.*
Two (2) years of experience working in an Information Technology group or R&D software lab, are required.
Two (2) years of experience working in an IT group or R&D software lab in a web-based software development capacity are required.
Or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
*The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the "credited experience".
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA
Grade 16, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time
Salary offers will be determined by a candidate’s education, training and relevant experience. Any final offer of employment will fall within the range stated above. For transparency, we choose to list the full available grade range, however, TriMet’s salary administration process will ultimately determine the final salary offered.